CGA TED-Ed Club: An Extracurricular Opportunity

https%3A%2F%2Fwww.youtube.com%2Fchannel%2FUCskU_g7t6b5ecsA1CTS3y9Q

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCskU_g7t6b5ecsA1CTS3y9Q

“The art of communication is the language of leadership.” – James Humes

As students of an international online high school in the 21st century, our ability to communicate with one another and find viable solutions to the pertinent technological, environmental and ethical challenges which our generation currently faces will certainly function as a vital prerequisite to our successful integration into any future careers or workplaces. This skill, or indeed ‘art’ of communicating through public speaking in the form of speeches, presentations and videos, encompasses the categories of ‘Learning’ and ‘Life’ skills identified by the Partnership for 21st Century Skills (P21), and promises to enhance our critical thinking, creativity and ability to engage with one another on an interpersonal and cross-cultural level.

Therefore, when I learned of a new student-led extracurricular activity – the CGA TED-Ed club – aimed at improving and showcasing this very skill, I was immediately eager to explore the opportunities which it offered for CGA students to develop their own communication and public speaking abilities. During an interview with the club’s founder, Elizaveta Frolkova, I was able to gain a deeper insight into the club’s activities and the inspiration behind its establishment. 

What are TED-Ed talks?

For students who may be unfamiliar with the concept of a TED talk, these widely available public speaking style videos and international conferences are organised and facilitated by the world-renowned non-profit media organisation, TED (Technology, Entertainment, and Design). In line with their slogan, “ideas worth spreading”, the organisation also runs a student-based initiative, TED-Ed Student Talks, aimed at encouraging students between the ages of six and eighteen to develop their interests into an engaging TED-style talk to share with their international peers. This year, under the guidance of Elizaveta, CGA hopes to join the countless schools and educational facilities from over 130 countries that have participated in the TED-Ed Student Talks curriculum.

How will the CGA TED-Ed Club be run?

Inspired by her previous experience of organising a TEDxYouth Conference and leading a group of students on their TED-Ed Talk journey, Elizaveta hopes that the CGA TED-Ed Club  will provide our students with an opportunity to work through the theory and core public speaking skills outlined by the TED-Ed programme, as well as to develop and share their passions and ideas. The club’s schedule is sensitive to the academic commitments of CGA students writing in the May/June exam series, and will focus on maintaining a steady but slower pace which enables students to work toward an engaging, high-quality final talk. After being guided through the process of developing an idea, conducting research and writing an engaging script, the club will offer its participants the opportunity to share their talent and newly-acquired public speaking skills with CGA students at an online TEDxYouth conference.

Who should join the CGA TED-Ed Club?

The TED-Ed Club is welcoming CGA students of all ages and year levels to join in its activities, and to explore their interest in the art of public speaking regardless of any previous experience. When asked to share her advice with students who may be considering joining the club, but who are unsure of their own public speaking abilities, Elizaveta emphasised that the club’s primary focus is to provide a safe, welcoming environment in which all students can share their ideas, learn from one another and develop these skills together.

What can I gain from this experience?

Beyond developing vitally important communication and public speaking skills, the TED-Ed Club will provide you with an opportunity to:

•         Discover and delve deeper into your passions;
  •         Gain confidence in sharing and expressing your ideas;
  •         Engage with a community of idea-driven students; and
  •         Share your TED-Ed idea on the TED-Ed Student Talks Youtube channel.

How can I join?

To join the club, you can simply message Elizaveta on Slack (@Elizaveta Frolkova) or email (elizaveta.frolkova@student.cga.school).

If you are interested in finding out more about the CGA TED-Ed Club, you can access this overview of its activities, or contact Elizaveta Frolkova via Slack or email (elizaveta.frolkova@student.cga.school).